There is something really satisfying about storing up food for the winter.
I admit that I am not really excited about difficult, complicated 'storing' methods, but I thought I would share some of the "Quick and Easy" types.
Today: Applesauce.
We found an apple farm nearby that sells apples which are "seconds" (may have some spots or imperfections) for only $14 a bushel! Although I do enjoy picking apples, this year, I just wanted to go get them. So, that's what we did! Today we will pick up our 4th and 5th bushels!
My favorite tool for processing apples is called a victorio strainer. There is NO peeling or coring involved! Just wash, slice in half, cook, and put through the strainer. The result is beautiful, yummy applesauce!
Another tool I discovered this year is a large YOGURT container!
Instead of canning the applesauce, I decided to freeze it in gallon ziploc bags.
I place the bag in the yogurt container while filling it. It is an amazing trick!
That's it for today!
Be sure to let me know if you make your own applesauce.. and pass on your tips and tricks, too!
1 comment:
Amazingly, I made applesauce today for the first time since my MI days. How funny to see your post about this! I swore I would never do it again because it was so hard to put through the food mill and it seemed pretty expensive in the end. I just found a great deal on apples- seconds like yours and wound up with 40lbs organic for $20. I skipped the food mill- cored and peeled them then cooked and mashed. Delicious!
Post a Comment