8 Fifelski Boys

March 4, 2010

Frugality in our home: What it looks like.

Well, we have instituted some new frugal measures in the Fifelski household. 

Yes, raising a bunch of boys can be less expensive than raising girls.. when you refer to clothing and personal hygiene products. But, then, they say that boys 'eat you out of house and home". (Wouldn't our house also be our home?) Well, it's true. We only have one teen so far, but, we can see the signs. We see it coming. It won't be long before they all have monstrous appetites! Then, of course, there is the thought of our first child going to COLLEGE in a few years! So, here are some changes we have made:

-Cloth Diapering- yep, I'm back to the cloth diaper world. Yikes! Overall, it isn't going so badly. I like the concept of cloth. It's a little more work. But, 2 babies in diapers costs about $60 a month in disposable or about $200-$300 for the "diapering" life of the babies. Within 4-5 months, the switch will be completely paid off and diapering practically free. 

-Raising our own meat. We will raise meat chickens again this year. We hope to raise about 50 and sell about 20-25. Selling will pay for our own meat, making our chicken free! (Other than the yucky, mucky summertime work!~) We may try to raise a couple of pigs this year too.. but, we are not sure. If not, we will buy meat in bulk again from another farmer.

-Oatmeal. We are eating more oatmeal and less cereal!

- Once a week shopping. We are doing 3 SMALL trips a month and one BIG trip. Cutting out little trips in between really helps with budgeting. 

-Couponing with couponmom.com, coupons.com and smartsource.com. Doing ounce to ounce comparisons, and shopping at Aldi's!

-Hair cuts. I am trying to wait a longer time between cuts. And, I now cut everyone's hair, including James and Patrick. (I haven't cut theirs in a couple of years). See the fun video coming soon!

-Cutting the 'drive-thru' habit. This is a big one! Use the crockpot, plan ahead!

- FInancial Peace University... we are taking classes and using the envelope system. And it's working (mostly!)

Feel free to comment about your own frugal tips!
Come back to see my video in the next day or 2!!

2 comments:

Jodi B said...

Katie, I remember you talking about your big shopping trips WAY back at the CTK Women's Retreat 2005. I was so in awe of you then. :) I still am.

I'm so happy to hear CTKers hearing about Dave Ramsey. His work has been such a blessing for my family.

- jodi bonjour

Redheadmamaof7boys said...

ha ha-- well, it has been at least 3 years since I stuck to me less-often shopping habits. The cash envelope is sure helping though. Even if I make an extra trip, I don't spend very much!!!
You're sweet.. you should come on retreat again this year!!